Sunday, November 13, 2011

Declaration of Solidarity with Neighborhood Reclamations

Declaration of Solidarity with Neighborhood Reclamations

Looks like the movement does have solidarity with some local businesses. What I can't understand is why a lot of businesses have closed. One would think a simple sign in the window telling people that there is no public bathroom, or no bathroom use without purchasing something would suffice. There are certainly enough people down there that support the movement that would result in an increase in business, or at lease sustaining business when other customers who may not come because of the protest would be replaced by protesters.

Maybe this is a simple solution to a more complex issue to which the specifics I am not privy to. However, I don't know how a business owner can expect to make a profit if their doors are always shut. Furthermore, I don't think these business owners fear for their safety because the shops are closed, not emptied out. Which means they have left their livelihood unattended. That is a silent message making me wonder have the owners been advised against being open when there are protesters. I'm not sure, but I will be looking more into this. I see that there have been rising tensions at the camp because of the media, so maybe I can go interview without filming for a few days.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all of your hard work covering occupy Oakland!
    I have been watching on livestream and you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Mr. Alaskan Dad! I'm glad that you have been following the movement. Please continue to support in any way that you can. =)
    OCCUPY OAKLAND! OCCUPY WALL STREET! OCCUPY EVERYTHING - OCCUPY EVREYWHERE!!

    ReplyDelete